Amaranth is gluten-free and high in:
- protein (28.1g of protein per 1 Cup of raw Amaranth)
- calcium (298mg per 1 Cup of raw Amaranth)
- magnesium (519 mg per 1 Cup of raw Amaranth)
- iron (15mg per 1 Cup of raw Amaranth)
- fibre (19g per 1 Cup of raw Amaranth)
- amino acids: lysine and methionine
You can lightly toast the seeds in a frying pan over medium-low heat before cooking. Cooking method: 1 Cup Amaranth seeds to 1 Cup water. (I have never cooked Amaranth this way, I have only ever used it in flour form for baking).
I have experimented with Amaranth flour for baking. I have tried adding small amounts to pancakes and muffins, but we have found that Amaranth has a very overpowering flavour and it doesn’t usually go over well with my kids! I will bake with it for myself but have learned to leave it out of anything I hope my kids will eat.