In cooking terms, any large, oily kernels found within a shell and used in food are commonly called nuts. Nuts are seeds, but not all seeds are nuts.
Botanical and culinary definitions for nuts vary. What may be considered a nut in culinary circles may not be in botany.
- Almonds are edible seeds
- Brazil nut is the seed from a capsule
- Cashew is the seed from an accessory fruit
- Coconuts are drupes
- Macadamia is a creamy white kernel of a follicle type fruit
- Peanut is a seed from a legume type fruit
- Pine nut is the seed of several species of pine
- Pistachio is the seed of a thin-shelled drupe
source: partial information from Wikipedia