Because, at this point I am unable to eat canola oil, sunflower or safflower oils and we choose to avoid carrageenan, I am somewhat limited with using a whole range of alternative milk products. Just about every ingredient list I read includes the above. As a result I am becoming more and more compelled to learning how to make my own ‘milks’ which would be a better environmental choice too. In the meantime, I have be playing around with ingredients on my own and have come up with a variation to the Rice Flour pancakes that works for me. In place of Rice Milk, I use Hemp Beverage ‘milk’ and at the last second tossed in less than a smidgen of nutmeg.
Rice & Buckwheat flour pancakes with no dairy.
Ideal for ALCAT Day 4
- 1/4 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/4 Cup less a TBSP White Rice Flour
- 1 TBSP Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- less than a smidgen of ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Original Hemp Beverage Milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- Preheat metal frying pan, on medium heat.
- Combine dry ingredients into a bowl
- Whisk together wet ingredients
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until well combined.
- Make sure pan is well heated. Pour batter onto pan leaving enough room to flip.
- With a thin spatula flip each pancake once they have bubble on top and the sides look secure. (I find that each batter responds differently in the pan, so this will take some trial and error).
- Serve immediately.